Saturday, June 11, 2011

Water Marble With -- you guessed it -- Dots!


Hello!

I apologize, but I must be brief with this entry as I am recovering from minor surgery and it is a bit difficult to type.  Plus, add in the pain meds and ... well, this entry just might be very entertaining! Bear with me?  Thank you.  Now, onto my manicure!

Today is brought to you by water marbling and dots!  I absolutely fell in love with Sophie's Water Marble For Short Nails - Black & White mani.  I had to try it.  Yesterday, I had some surgery in the afternoon, so I spent the morning doing my nails.  I don't know about anyone else, but if I can't wear jewelry or make-up to have surgery, dammit, my nails will look GOOD.  Well, my water marble did not come out that well.  It kept graying out.  Not the distinct black and white like Sophie's (Girlfriend, I think I need to ask you some 'how did you do that' questions).  I was quite frankly, very disappointed.  It wasn't horrible, just not like I expected.  Suddenly, I was inspired.  Why not add some dots?    So I did.  Here is the result: (Click on photos to enlarge)
3-D?  Close!

Here is the recipe for this mani:
  • Base is one coat of Orly Rubberized Bonder
  • One coat of OPI Nail Envy Original Formula (to prevent lacquers from staining nails as the Orly does NOT prevent staining)
Water marble:
  • Sinful Colors in Snow Me White and Black On Black
Let the marble dry for about 15 minutes.  Prepare for the next step: Dotting!

I used dotting tools of various sizes.  There is no right or wrong, here, but one word of caution:  Less is more.  It is very easy to get carried away.  A few of my nails show this. When you like the look of a nail, stop!

I basically followed the lines of the marbling and placed three to four dots along the 'lay of the land' if you will.  Again, I cannot stress this enough, less is more.

For the dots in this mani, I chose the purple family.  In no particular order:
  •  China Glaze - Grape Pop
  • OPI - A Grape Fit
  • Wet n' Wild - Bite the Bullet
  • China Glaze - Let's Groove
  • Sally Hansen - Flirt
  • Sinful Colors Snow Me White
  • Sinful Colors Black On Black
  • One coat of China Glaze Fairy Dust
  • My favorite nail. 
  • One coat of Seche Vite Fast Drying Top Coat

I plan on doing a lot more of these.   I love the look.  It's very boho. Try a 'family' of colors with a water marble.  Cool colors.  Warm colors.  Team colors (Go Washington Redskins). Add a rhinestone in place of a dot (Again, less is more... I'd only add one stone, but that's just me).   The possibilities are endless.  Most of all, just have FUN with it!

Until next time,
Stay polished!
Overkill.  Less is more.





Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading and leaving me a comment! I will respond to all comments as soon as possible. I look forward to them all and appreciate the time you have spent reading and leaving me a note. Peace!